Children have rights. No child anywhere in this world should have to endure this, or any other type of beating. As the parents of two children, we find this person’s conduct inexcusable, completely unacceptable and criminal in nature.
Did you know that over 3 million reports of child abuse are made every year in the United States with many reports involving multiple children? In fact, in 2009, approximately 3.3 million child abuse reports and allegations were made involving an estimated 6 million children.
Here are several additional startling statistics…
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds.
- More than five children die every day as a result of child abuse.
- Approximately 80% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4.
- It is estimated that between 50-60% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates.
- More than 90% of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way.
- Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
- About 80% of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder.
- The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2007 is $104 billion.
If you are under the age of 18 and are the victim of child abuse, contact your local authorities right now. They can and will help. We’re also here to help if we can. All you need to do is call.